Saturday, April 19, 2008

boston

it is funny- I complain so much about airplanes but when the captain said "we are cleared for boston", I was so happy

This is just a monster weekend: a sox game, a bso concert, a beerfest, the marathon, and passover.

Lasty night was the concert- das lied von der erde and the premier of harbison sym 5. It was fantstique- the new piece was a bit odd- a modern telling or orpheus and euridice- through three poems. When I had first heard of the scoring including an electric guitar, I was skeptical. But this was inspired- the guitar was played in a traditional manner, serving the purpose of his lute.

The second half was the mahler-one I've never heard live. Set against 7 chinese poems over 1000 years old- it spoke of loss, longing and the gradual coming and acceptance of death. Wrote after mahler himself was diagnosed with a fatal heart condition, I found the piece a great journey of sorts- towards destiney. The performance was sublime and subtle, but just as brilliant. One of the best concerts I've heard in years.

Today, I'm headed to the beerfest downtown at the arlington castle with bryan.66 breweries will be present. More on the return trip....

No comments: